Hotels in Borneo
Essential information for Borneo
Malaysia's best-known animals are the orang-utans of Borneo. At the Sepilok Orang-utan Rehabilitation Centre in Sabah, you can meet these lovely creatures - you'll get gooey-eyed when you see the cute babies.
The third largest island in the world, Borneo ranks as one of the world’s top wildlife destinations. Here are its best attractions.
- Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Beach Resort & Spa near Kota Kinabalu has water sports, restaurants and shopping close by.
- Gaya Island Resorts’ private beach with spectacular views is the perfect getaway for couples.
- The beachfront Shangri-La Rasa Ria Resort is perfect for both couples and families.
Sightseeing & Culture
- Take a heritage walk around Kota Kinabalu, exploring Australia Place, Museum Kopitam, The Malaysia Monument, War Memorial, and Atkinson Clock.
- See the city mosque and Buddhist Poh Tze Temple, both famous places of worship.
- Find sarongs, jewellery and arts at the Kadaiku Handicrafts Market in Kota Kinabalu.
- Honeymoon at Gaya Island Resort and enjoy a traditional couples spa ritual.
- Tee off beside breathtaking scenery in one of Sabah’s top golf courses.
- Stay at one of our luxury beachfront accommodations.
Wildlife and Adventure
- Meet the orangutans at the famous Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre.
- Take an eco-tour of Borneo’s 130 million year-old rainforest. See Asian elephants, Sumatran rhinos, Bornean Clouded Leopards and Proboscis Monkeys.
- Explore walking trails at the natural park of Mount Kinabalu.
- Learn about turtle rehabilitation at the Gaya Island Resort Marine Centre and snorkel in its coral gardens.
Food & Drink
- Enjoy coffee and explore historic war photos at the Kopitiam coffee shop.
- Enjoy Malaysian street food at the Tepi Laut Makan Street restaurant.
- Visit Atmosphere, a revolving restaurant at the Menara Tun Mustapha building.
Events & Festivals
April: Sample some of East Malaysia’s best flavours at the Kota Kinabalu Food Festival
July: Kota Kinabalu hosts the International Film Festival.
July: Attend the Rainforest Music Festival, one of the largest music festivals in Southeast Asia.
October: Climbathon Adventure, Reach the summit of Mt. Kinabalu within hours alongside Asia’s best runners.