Holidays in Louisville
Kentucky's largest city is on the come up, with hip bars, superb farm-to-table restaurants, and an engaging, young and increasingly progressive population.
Hotels in Kentucky
Essential information for Kentucky
Kentucky is divided into two time zones. Most of the north central and eastern portions of the state are on Eastern Time, while the southern and western portions are on Central Time. The entire state observes Daylight Savings Time. The time line is indicated on the Official Highway Map.
From baseball to legendary bourbon, The ‘Horse Racing and Bourbon Capital of the World’ is packed with things to do on holiday. Here are its best attractions.
Sightseeing and Attractions
- Follow the life of world’s most famous boxer at the Muhammad Ali Center, along the 7-mile Ohio Riverwalk in Louisville.
- Explore Kentucky’s baseball heritage at the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory.
- See the grave of the iconic Kentucky Fried Chicken mascot, Colonel Sanders in Cave Hill Cemetery.
Adventure and Wildlife
- Explore the caves of the aptly named Mammoth Cave National Park, thought to be the largest cave system in the world.
- Discover the spectacular Cumberland Falls, dubbed the ‘Niagara of the South’.
- Saddle up and join spectacular horse riding trails in the countryside.
- Explore elegant antebellum style plantation houses and historic farms in Kentucky’s Bluegrass Region – many now serve as boutique guesthouses serving upscale cuisine.
- Go café hopping in Louisville’s chic East Market District known locally as NuLu.
Food and Drink
- Go on the Kentucky Wine Trail and explore delicious grape wines, honey mead and fruit wines.
- Go on a tour of Kentucky’s famous bourbon distilleries in the state’s Bluegrass Region or take an urban bourbon trail in Louisville.
Events & Festivals
May: The Kentucky Derby and festivals take place at Churchill Downs in Louisville.
August: The Kentucky State Fair comes to Louisville with horse shows and entertainment.
September: Bardstown hosts the six-day Kentucky Bourbon Festival.