A trip to the States is a big tick on the bucket list. From taking a road trip along the iconic Route 66 to catching the sights in NYC and taking in Florida's stunning Gold Coast, there are always new places to discover and experiences to be had.
Make treasured memories with the family at a thrill-fuelled theme park in Orlando. Relax on a honeymoon to Hawaii. Stay up all night in Vegas. Whenever you decide to go, whoever you decide to travel with, take holidays to the USA at your own pace.
Where to stay
From the bright lights of the big cities to the breezy boardwalks of the coast, there’s no shortage of rooms with a view with our holidays to America.
- Stay in Boston for low-key cosmopolitan vibes. Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel is a historic landmark that was once the police headquarters. It's been renovated without losing any of its old-time charm and the central location in Bay Village means you can enjoy great transport links to every corner of the city.
- Sofitel Chicago Water Tower is ideally situated for exploring downtown Chicago. It’s just minutes away from Water Tower Place, where you can dine and shop to your heart’s content. Relax after a long day at Café des Architectes for some classic French cuisine prepared with delicious, locally sourced ingredients.
- Laid-back luxury in LA doesn’t get much more charming than the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. This elegant period building is full of special touches, from the neoclassical interiors to a Roman-themed health club. Be sure to head to Smeraldi's Restaurant for the international breakfast buffet.
USA holidays: the landmarks
You’d be hard-pushed to visit every famous landmark in the USA in your lifetime – and we can guarantee that at least one of these breath-taking sights has made its way onto your must-see list.
- Get to know Sin City on the Las Vegas Strip. You can spend days and nights taking in the bright lights of the casinos and theatres and tasting the fine cuisines on offer. Stop by the Bellagio for a view of the world-famous fountains. Make sure you see some of Nevada's wonders away from the Strip too; just thirty minutes' drive away is the awe-inspiring sandstone landscape of Red Rock Canyon, or book a tour to see the gigantic Grand Canyon.
- If you’re headed to San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge is high on the priority list. Opt to walk the 1.5-mile stretch rather than drive for the best views. If you’re trying to pack a lot in, rent bikes and cycle across.
- No trip to NYC is complete without seeing the Statue of Liberty. If you don’t want to take the full tour, book the Circle Line Cruise instead that will get you up close to Lady Liberty for photo ops without having to disembark on the island.
- When in Washington DC, the White House is a must-do photo opportunity. Tour tickets are difficult to obtain for non-US nationals, but you can still get a good close-up from Pennsylvania Avenue.
American holidays off the beaten track
Holidays to America aren’t all about shopping in NYC and shows in Vegas – there are plenty more quirky attractions and buzzing cities to see off the usual tourist trail.
- Brush up on your knowledge of the American Revolution and take the Freedom Trail along 16 of Boston's most important historic sights. There are plenty of tours on offer or you can walk and learn (and stop of for some great food) by taking it at your own pace.
- Seattle is famous for its skyscraping Space Needle. Head there on a clear day for the best views of the city skyline. To skip the queues, book a table in the top floor restaurant and go straight up.
- Chicago is abundant with culture and nowhere is that clearer than the Millennium Park. It's home to some of the world’s greatest contemporary art including Anish Kapoor’s Cloud Gate, a sleek sculpture inspired by liquid mercury. If you’re travelling in summer, check for free concerts, open-air films and yoga lessons in the park.
The USA is home to a range of world-class skiing destinations, whether you're a seasoned pro or heading to the slopes for the first time. Teach your family the sport or master the art of après-ski with friends at one of these destinations:
- The sprawling Lake Tahoe, nestled between California and Nevada, hosts the stunning ski resorts of Heavenly and Squaw Valley. Stay at the luxurious Harrahs for breath-taking views of the lake at sunset.
- If you’re planning to spend more time off the slopes, choose neighbouring Breckenridge. It has a lively town and picturesque hotels including Mountain Thunder Lodge.
- Way out west in California you’ll find Mammoth Mountain – ideally located if you’re fitting skiing in around a coastal trip. Crystal clear lakes and bright blue skies frame the slopes, with plenty of family-friendly runs on offer.
Coastal holidays to the USA
If your idea of the perfect break involves sun and sea air, holidays to the USA have plenty to offer with golden coastlines and white sand beaches.
- Hawaii is the quintessential tropical beach destination. Head to Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, open week-round except Tuesdays, for snorkelling – the fish swim close to the shore, so there's plenty to see.
- La Jolla Shores Park in San Diego, California is a picturesque natural beauty spot and ideal for hiking. Get there early for free parking and follow the Coastal Trail for views of the Pacific Coast. If you're lucky, you might spot some harbour seals.
- For pink sands and blue-green shores, spend the day at Horseshoe Bay in Southampton Parish, Bermuda. If it’s busy, follow the trails behind the beach that will lead you to quieter coves.
Whether it’s exploring dramatic coastlines, being entertained on the Strip or dining at high altitude in one of the lesser-explored cities, our package holidays to America have something to offer everyone. Plan your trip today and book at one of our USA hotels.