Sunbathe by day and fiesta by night: Cancun highlights
Welcome to Cancun, where the beauty of the white sand beaches is matched only by the energy of its nightlife and cultural scenes.
If you’re looking for a splash of luxury on your all-inclusive holiday to Mexico, you've picked the right spot – Cancun is renowned for adding five star style to all of its experiences, from designer boutiques to culinary feasts. Explore Cancun with Virgin Holidays.
Beach Holidays in Cancun
There’s nothing quite like hitting the beach on the first day of any trip, and you definitely won't want to miss the otherworldly beauty of those found on Cancun holidays.
- The hotel zone is (unsurprisingly) where you'll find much of the city's accommodation, but it's also home to a sprawling 22km of sandy beaches. If you're in the mood for a walk, head to Playa Marlin – long enough that it never feels too crowded. The waters can be rough here so swimming isn't recommended, but the same waves make it ideal for testing your body boarding or parasailing skills. Alternatively, check out the peaceful Playa Delfines, which is blissfully free of buildings.
- With its crystal-clear waters and bars lining the beach, Playa Forum is one of Cancun’s most famous beaches. In the mood for dancing? Check out the nearby Coco Bongo nightclub for flying acrobats and a buzzing party atmosphere, and the Mandala Beach Club for live DJ sets and pool parties.
- Located close to the Hotel Zone, Playa Norte (also known as North Beach) is perched on the end of Isla Mujeres, a small island 13km off Cancun’s coast. The water is clear and shallow, with little to no rocks or waves – making it the perfect spot for swimming with all the family. Stay for the sunset: trust us, it’s worth it.
Luxury Holidays to Cancun
Spoil yourself on your all-inclusive Cancun holiday with our handpicked selection of spas, exclusive restaurants, and hotels.
- Le Blanc Spa Resort is an adults-only destination, ensuring that much-needed peace and quiet for couples and those on romantic Cancun honeymoons. Sink into your own private hot tub then head to the spa for massages, hydrotherapy, beauty treatments and much more. Try the Kukulcan Mayan massage to take relaxation to the next level.
- On a family holiday to Cancun? At the Paradisus Cancun Hotel, the children are kept entertained by the interactive Kid’s Zone while you chill out by the pool, enjoy an authentic Mexican meal at the adults-only Mole Restaurant or go exploring. The design of the hotel itself pays homage to ancient Mayan civilisations, taking the shape of five modern pyramids, so you may find yourself snapping a few pics before you even step foot outside the resort.
- Experience fresh seafood at its most delicious at the cosy, lagoon-side Fred's House in the Hotel Zone. On the menu you'll find delicacies including local oysters, shrimp and octopus ceviche and cold rock sashimi served with wasabi and ginger. The sunset is especially spectacular here, and when the time comes the friendly waiters will pull up the blinds so you don't miss a second of it.
Culture and adventure in Cancun
There’s so much to explore on Cancun holidays, from ancient Mayan civilisations to lush jungles filled with exotic wildlife. Here are some of our top picks.
- Immerse yourself in Mexico’s cultural history by taking a day trip to Chichen Itza, which is home to the atmospheric Mayan temple of El Castillo and an ancient city dating back to around 600 AD. If you stick around for the evening, you might get to witness a light show that brings the architecture and angles of these breath-taking structures to life.
- 13km off the coast of Cancun you'll find Isla Mujeres, renowned for its colourful coral reefs and abundance of wildlife. Pay a visit to the turtle farm, Tortuga Granja, where you can learn all about the creatures and how they're being protected and released back into the wild by the sanctuary. Stay at the Zoetry Villa Rolandi in May and you might even witness turtle eggs hatching.
- Nichupte Lagoon encompasses swamps and thick jungle, providing a protected home for reptiles, birds and even crocodiles. Take an eco-tour on your holiday to Cancun to navigate the winding canals and learn more about Nichupte Lagoon's unique inhabitants.
- Isla Holbox is part of the Yum Balam Nature Reserve, and sits between the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico, so its waters teem with marine life as well as flamingos and pelicans. Feeling brave? You can take a dip with the whale sharks (don’t worry, it’s completely safe).
Entertainment in Cancun
Let your hair down on your holiday to Cancun with this selection of lively bars, restaurants and activities.
- Check out Coco Bongo, a huge club in the Hotel Zone for themed nights, live acts and acrobats. Not to mention the cocktails – it's only fitting to try a Mexican Margarita.
- Cancun is celebrated for its selection of world-class golf courses. We recommend the Moon Palace Cancun Golf and Spa, with its 27-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course. The resort is family-friendly, and right next to the ocean – in case you fancy a dip after your game.
- With locations in both the Hotel Zone and downtown Cancun, La Habichuela restaurant is truly unique. It's decorated in the style of old Yucatecan haciendas and also features motifs from Mayan culture. Plants and lights give it an enchanted garden atmosphere that serves as the perfect backdrop to its enticing menu of seafood, steaks and indulgent desserts.
The beaches and bars of Cancun await you, book your holiday today and discover Cancun with Virgin Holidays.