Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Essential information for Playa Mujeres
- Fly direct on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday.
- Indirect Virgin Atlantic flights are available from London Heathrow.
Do I need a visa?
No, UK passport holders don't need a visa for Mexico. You'll just need to complete a tourist card on your flight to Cancun.
However, if you are travelling via the USA, then you will need to apply for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) no less than 72 hours prior to travelling.
Golf enthusiasts can take advantage of the nearby 18-hole golf course designed by world-class professional Greg Norman. With 9 ocean holes and 9 lagoon holes surrounded by the lush tropical foliage of the Yucatan rainforest, it’s one of the best courses in Mexico!
Highlights of Playa Mujeres, Mexico
At the tip of Mexico’s Yucatan, between the jungle and the Caribbean Sea, lies a little bit of heaven. The Playa Mujeres peninsula, along with little Isla Mujeres just offshore, are peaceful paradises of white sand, lush forest and sparkling waters just north of lively Cancun. They’re close to the action – and kitted up for adventures if you want them. But they’re also blissfully relaxed. Slowing down is the order of the day on Playa Mujeres holidays.
Playa Mujeres holidays are also the height of opulence. A range of all-inclusive resorts here work on the premise of unlimited luxury: top-shelf drinks, gourmet food, free golf, pillow menus and waiter service by the pool are the norm.
- Swim with sculpture at MUSA, Mexico’s underwater museum. This installation of over 500 life-sized statues off Playa Mujeres and Cancun has formed an artificial reef that attracts not only snorkelers and divers but masses of marine life too.
- Go wet and wild! There’s no watersport you can’t try at a resort such as Dreams Playa Mujeres – kayaking, hobie cat sailing, water polo, jet-skiing and more are covered at this Playa Mujeres all-inclusive hotel.
- Sail over to the wildlife haven of Isla Contoy on holidays to Playa Mujeres. Huge numbers of pelicans, cormorants and frigatebirds flock here, while turtles nest on the pristine beaches. Resident biologists lead fascinating tours.
- Dive into the crystal-clear Caribbean. These waters are the perfect place to give scuba a try (with an experienced instructor, naturally). There are incredible dive sites for pros too, from sunken Spanish galleons to the ‘Cave of Sleeping Sharks’, where tiger, bull, lemon and reef sharks often lurk.
- Support sea turtles at Playa Mujeres’ tortugranja (turtle farm). The sanctuary provides refuge for these endangered creatures, protecting the eggs and then releasing the hatchlings into the wild – visit in the evening, July to November, to see the tiny turtles make their dash to the sea. For easy access, stay at the Zoëtry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun, just a mile away.
- Take an evening stroll around the Parque de las Palapas, Cancun’s social hub. As the daylight fades, watch as vendors cook up quesadillas, artists lay out their colourful wares and musicians begin to play.
- Hire a moped, bike or golf buggy for a fun-filled spin around Isla de Mujeres. This tiny Caribbean idyll is full of quirky sights such as the colourful cemetery (home to a pirate’s tomb and elegant Casa Caracol, a house shaped like a shell). The staff at the Zoëtry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun can give you exploring tips.
- Visit Isla de Mujeres’ man-made Floating Island – both the island and the house on it were constructed from recycled bits and bobs; over 100,000 plastic bottles were used for the base alone. The artist who made it will raft you over and show you around.
- Tee off at one of Mexico’s best golf courses. The Greg Norman-designed Playa Mujeres Golf Course is both a sporting challenge and a stunner – the greens blend into the natural environment and offer spectacular sea views. Golf buffs can stay at Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort, located amid the course.
- Marvel at the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza, an easy day-trip from Playa Mujeres Cancun. Pick a tour that includes a stop-off for a swim in jungle-draped cenote and a traditional Mayan lunch.
- Pamper yourself at a world-class spa. You could try a seaweed wrap, chocolate pedicure or caviar facial at the Secrets Golf & Spa Resort. Or head to Dreams Playa Mujeres for a Mayan temazcal, a traditional indigenous sauna that promises a full body purification.
- Eat like a king – the seafood is especially delicious around Playa Mujeres and Cancun. Don’t miss spectacular spiced aguachile – a fiery Mexican take on fresh-fish ceviche – at the Zoëtry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun’s award-winning Casa Rolandi restaurant, where you can dine al-fresco on the panoramic terrace.
- Tee off at the Playa Mujeres Golf Club. Guests at our Playa Mujeres all-inclusive resorts — Secrets, Dreams and Zoëtry — receive complimentary green fees for this world-class course.
- Sail over from the mainland to the Isla Mujeres aboard a deluxe yacht when you stay at the Zoëtry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun. There are no set check-in or check-out times either at this high-class all-inclusive – you can be the master of your own time.
- Acquire a taste for the finer things on Playa Mujeres holidays – at the Secrets, Dreams and Zoëtry resorts top-shelf spirits are included free of charge, plus there are cooking workshops, cocktail classes and wine and tequila tastings to enjoy. ¡Salud!
- Watch a glittering sunset on Isla Mujeres – one of the few places on Mexico’s eastern coast where you can see the sun sink into the Caribbean. Order a cocktail at the Zoëtry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun, on the island’s west coast, for a front-row seat.
- Come to Playa Mujeres Mexico in summer to swim with the world’s biggest fish – whale sharks gather off Isla Holbox, just north-west of Playa Mujeres, every year from June to September. Strap on a snorkel, jump in and marvel as these gentle giants glide by.
- Admire excellent art at the weekly Isla Mujeres Artist Fair, held every Thursday evening from November to April in the island’s main square. As well as displays by local and visiting painters and craftspeople, there is music, tasty food and craft beer.
- See in the New Year in style on your Playa Mujeres holiday, Punta Sur is the southernmost point on Isla Mujeres and the easternmost point in the whole of Mexico, and locals gather here for the first rays on 1 January. Also, you can climb the lighthouse for sweeping views of the Caribbean coast.
- Join the permanent party at Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort. There’s always something happening here, every night of the year – from lively beach barbecues and fire jugglers to eclectic festival celebrations.
As one of Cancun’s best hideaways, Playa Mujeres is the ultimate in relaxation. To discover some of Mexico’s finest natural wonders, from pristine beaches to lush rainforest, browse our Playa Mujeres hotels today to book your holiday retreat.