Highlights of Mexico: where the fiesta never stops
Mexico has everything you could want from a holiday destination: sun-soaked beaches, fun fiestas and ancient history in the form of mythical Mayan sites. Whether you’re in the mood to get out and explore or you want to kick back and relax, there’s something for every type of getaway on a holiday in Mexico.
Planning on taking a holiday to Mexico? Read on for a list of food, culture and adventure must-sees.
You’re spoilt for choice when it comes to Mexico’s beaches. Choose from secluded or lively, central or tucked away. What’s more, many are lined with authentic bars and restaurants – perfect for escaping the sun and enjoying a refreshing drink. Here are some highlights when looking for beaches to visit in Mexico:
- Playa del Carmen: This beach spans two miles of fine golden sand. It’s also split into two sections – the north is the most bustling, while the south is much quieter and more suited to relaxation. Don’t miss Wah Wah while you’re there – it’s one of the area’s oldest, and most loved, beach bars.
- Maroma Beach: Choose to stay at the exclusive, all-inclusive Secrets Hotel in Riviera Cancun, and you’ll get to explore Maroma Beach. It’s quiet, peaceful and serene. You’ll feel like you’re miles away from everyday life.
- Playa los Muertos: The name of this Riviera Nayarit beach may translate to ‘beach of the dead’, but don't be dissuaded, this is a great place to relax in a peaceful atmosphere and go swimming. The nearby town of Sayulita is loved by both tourists and locals for its vendors, water sports and seemingly endless string of restaurants and bars.
Luxury in Mexico
Your all-inclusive Mexico holiday is your time to spoil yourself. No matter what relaxes you – whether it’s a spa treatment or a meal at a decadent restaurant – there’s plenty to leave you feeling indulged, treated and pampered. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Moon Palace Resort: Need something that’s both luxurious and child-friendly on your family holiday to Mexico? Check out the Moon Palace Resort. A kids’ ‘minibar’ and Xboxes will delight the little ones for hours, leaving you free to enjoy a treatment at the spa or a bit of shopping.
- Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita: Head to this opulent hotel to enjoy a ‘Temazcal’. It’s a traditional Mexican steam bath designed to cleanse your body and help boost circulation.
Adventure in Mexico
Once you’ve relaxed on the beaches, it’s time to enjoy Mexico’s adventurous side. Discover something new and go exploring with any one of these fun activities:
- Cozumel: Cozumel is a good place to go diving. Whether you’re a seasoned diver or you’re trying it out for the first time, there are excursions for every age and ability. You’ll discover the Mesoamerican Reef – a protected marine area and the second largest reef in the world, after the Great Barrier Reef.
- Isla Mujeres: Get up close and personal with rare breeds of turtle at a turtle farm in this nature-lover’s paradise. Or visit Isla Holbox to swim with whale sharks – don’t worry, it’s perfectly safe. Go on, we dare you.
- Xcaret Eco Park: Kids will love discovering Mexican culture and the Mayan jungle in this seaside park with more than 50 attractions to explore. Go in the afternoon and stay on for the colourful night show.
- Xel-ha: This aquatic park is the perfect location to practise snorkelling and see all sorts of exotic fish, or simply float down the river in a rubber ring. Intrepid mini travellers can take on the jungle trails, zip lines and floating bridge.
Food and drink
All that adventuring means you’re bound to have worked up an appetite. The local cuisine is celebrated the world over, and with good reason – Mexican street food is delicious. Check out one of these recommendations for a taste of the country’s favourite flavours:
- Pujol: Pujol can be found in Mexico City, and is ranked among the 50 best restaurants in the world. Chef Enrique Olvera puts his own unique twist on well-known and well-loved local classics.
- Mezcalerias: Whilst on holiday in Mexico, make sure you try Mezcal. This drink, which is similar to tequila, is handcrafted in Oaxacan villages from the nectar of spiky green agave plants. All across Mexico you’ll find this drink served in specialist bars called mezcalerias.
Culture and entertainment
Let yourself be carried away in all the fun of the fiesta on your next all-inclusive Mexico holiday. The rich and diverse culture provides plenty of opportunities to get involved. Here are some of great ways to experience a glimpse of authentic Mexican way of life on your getaway:
- Chichen Itza: Inside this archaeological site sits the fascinating Temple of Kukulkan (also known as El Castillo, meaning ‘The Castle’). It’s an iconic pyramid, and one of the most recognisable of the Mayan ruins.
- Tulum: Another of Mexico’s beautiful Mayan sites, Tulum is also one of the most accessible – it’s just a couple of hours from Cancun. You’ll find the ruins dotted across 39-foot-tall cliff-tops, overlooking the ocean.
- Joyà: This Cirque de Soleil show takes place in Playa del Carmen. Enjoy an evening of spectacle as acrobats perform gravity-defying tricks.
Ready to plan your next getaway? Check out the full range of Virgin Holidays Mexico hotels now.