Adventure in Mexico
Once you’ve relaxed on the beaches, it’s time to enjoy Mexico’s adventurous side. Discover something new and go exploring with any one of these fun activities:
- Cozumel: Cozumel is a great place to go diving. Whether you’re a seasoned diver or you’re trying it out for the first time, there are excursions for every age and ability. You’ll discover the Mesoamerican Reef – a protected marine area and the second largest reef in the world, after the Great Barrier Reef.
- Isla Mujeres: Get up close and personal with rare breeds of turtle at a turtle farm in this nature-lover’s paradise. Or visit Isla Holbox to swim with whale sharks – don’t worry, it’s perfectly safe. Go on, we dare you.
- Xcaret Eco Park: Kids will love discovering Mexican culture and the Mayan jungle in this seaside park with more than 50 attractions to explore. Go in the afternoon and stay on for the colourful night show.
- Xel-ha: This aquatic park is the perfect location to practise snorkelling and see all sorts of exotic fish, or simply float down the river in a rubber ring. Intrepid mini travellers can take on the jungle trails, zip lines and floating bridge.
Food and drink
All that adventuring means you’re bound to have worked up an appetite. The local cuisine is celebrated the world over, and with good reason – Mexican street food is delicious. Check out one of these recommendations for a taste of the country’s favourite flavours:
- Alux: Located in a 10,000-year old cave, Alux in Playa del Carmen is a restaurant like no other. Featuring stunning Mexican takes on international dishes, a bar and nightclub, book to avoid disappointment.
- Mezcalerias: Whilst on holiday in Mexico, make sure you try Mezcal. This drink, which is similar to tequila, is handcrafted in Oaxacan villages from the nectar of spiky green agave plants. All across Mexico you’ll find this drink served in specialist bars called mezcalerias.
Culture and entertainment
Let yourself be carried away in all the fun of the fiesta on your next all-inclusive Mexico holiday. The rich and diverse culture provides plenty of opportunities to get involved. Here are some of great ways to experience a glimpse of authentic Mexican way of life on your getaway:
- Chichen Itza: Inside this archaeological site sits the fascinating Temple of Kukulkan (also known as El Castillo, meaning ‘The Castle’). It’s an iconic pyramid, and one of the most recognisable of the Mayan ruins.
- Tulum: Another of Mexico’s beautiful Mayan sites, Tulum is also one of the most accessible – it’s just a couple of hours from Cancun. You’ll find the ruins dotted across 39-foot-tall cliff-tops, overlooking the ocean.
- Joyà: This Cirque de Soleil show takes place in Playa del Carmen. Enjoy an evening of spectacle as acrobats perform gravity-defying tricks.
Ready to plan your next getaway? Check out the full range of Virgin Holidays Mexico hotels now.