The best of the Big Apple – New York City holidays
New York, New York! Big, bright and unforgettable, the capital of the world will have you feeling like a star from the moment you step onto the sidewalk. Home to the pastrami rye piled high with pickles and the most iconic skyline bar none, a city break in New York is like no other.
Hit up a Broadway show, while away the hours in the bookshops of Greenwich Village and dig in at an authentic diner serving New York’s best brunch, all in a weekend. From skyscrapers to street vendors, here’s our pick of the best of NYC.
When you think of New York, what comes to mind besides Lady Liberty? This city is the unofficial birthplace of retail therapy. From Manhattan to Brooklyn, here are the places you should be headed to get the biggest bang for your buck.
- Brookfield Place on the Hudson River waterfront is the height of luxury shopping. Find upscale brands such as Diane von Furstenberg and Lululemon alongside food halls Le District and Hudson Eats.
- To bag yourself some retro bargains, head to Brooklyn Flea in Williamsburg for New York’s best vintage shopping. Each weekend, 100 food pop-ups from ‘Smorgasburg’ pitch up alongside dozens of stalls selling everything from antiques and jewellery to art.
- What would a trip to NYC be without a stop at Bloomingdale’s? The flagship store on 59th Street is the biggest and best place to fill up your little, medium and big brown bags.
Setting foot in the concrete jungle of New York is an experience straight from the silver screen. With so many incredible hotels to choose from, a little luxury goes a long way. From the serene and secluded to the loud and proud, here’s where you should be staying for your city break in New York.
- If you’re after a picture-perfect hotel for that red carpet experience, it’s got to be The Plaza Hotel. Whether you’re gazing down Fifth Avenue or sipping bubbles at the Champagne Bar, you’ll feel like an A-lister at the Plaza from check-in to farewell.
- With JFK and Bette Davis as previous patrons, you’re always in good company at The Surrey. A Michelin-starred Café Boulud and views over Central Park make this Upper East Side a laid-back favourite.
- For a slice of British style in the heart of Midtown, The London NYC is the obvious choice. The vision of iconic designer David Collins, this spot is stylish, elegant and bursting with charisma. The lively London Bar is the perfect place for cocktails when the sun goes down, while exercise buffs will love working out at the high-tech London NYC Club gym.
Food & drink
From bagels and pizza to hot dogs and cheesecake, the Big Apple isn’t the only thing you’ll be taking a bite of – Holidays in New York really are a foodie’s heaven. Whether you’re after a quick snack from one of the many on-street food trucks or looking for the crème de la crème of fine dining experiences, NYC has it all on a plate. After dinner, discover for yourself why it’s called “the city that never sleeps” with a visit to one of New York’s famed nightlife destinations.
- Visit Eataly, Gotham West Market and the Plaza – some of NYC’s best food halls – for craft coffee, stand-out restaurants and artisan bakeries.
- For an ultra-modern Mexican cantina in the heart of New York City, head to Black Ant in the East Village. On the menu you’ll find traditional tacos with a contemporary twist and a cocktail list full of surprises.
- Fine dining comes alive in NYC. Blue Hill in Greenwich Village and the three Michelin-starred Le Bernardin are our top choices for an unforgettable meal. Remember to book ahead so you don’t miss out.
- For a legendary experience, PJ Clarke’s in Midtown Manhattan is the place to be. Its doors have been open since 1884 and the glamorous likes of Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor have been in for a tipple or two.
Art & culture
Known for its world-class museums, Art Deco skyscrapers and avant-garde galleries, New York is the top of the list when it comes to culture and the arts. Whether you’re first in line for the latest Radio City showing or heading to the Brooklyn Bridge, NYC will keep you busy from dawn till dusk.
- Don’t miss the Whitney Museum of American Art, one of the best contemporary art collections in the country. It’s located in the Meatpacking District, so hit two birds with one stand and walk The Highline in the same day.
- June brings NYC Pride to the big city, with the annual March proceeding down the famous parade route Fifth Avenue and past the historic Stonewall Inn.
- Follow the bright lights of Broadway to see a classic like The Lion King or Les Misérables, or pick up tickets to one of the latest box office smash hits.
- Explore New York’s immigrant history at the Tenement Museum on Orchard Street. These restored apartments bring historic tales of the Lower East Side to life.
- While you’re in the trendy borough of Brooklyn, take a walking tour of Bushwick or Williamsburg. Look out for graffiti and murals by street artists including Swampy and Buff Monster, and don’t miss The Bushwick Collective outdoor gallery.
Whether you’re looking for non-stop action or want to get lost in this dazzling metropolis, New York City truly has something for everyone. Feel the pulse of the city in the heart of Manhattan or set your sights on one of the city’s thriving boroughs. Your adventure in the most exciting urban hub in the world is just a Virgin Holidays booking away – discover our New York hotels today.