Hotels in Key West
Essential information for Key West
From Miami, Key Largo is 55 miles, Islamorada is 72 miles, Duck Key is 100 miles, Key Vaca is 104 miles and Key West is 160 miles. Locations in the Keys can be pinpointed by the use of 'mile markers', which denote the distance in miles from Key West.
Sunset celebrations and fantastic beaches make for a blissful holiday escape in Key West. Here are its best attractions.
- South Beach is a favourite among the locals at the end of the famous Duval Street.
- Palm-fringed Smathers Beach stretches for two miles and is Key West’s largest.
- Take a boat excursion to Dry Tortugas, one of The Key’s nicest beaches.
- Drive to the remote Bahia Honda State Park – arguably one of the most beautiful beaches.
Sightseeing and Attractions
- Take a boat or seaplane excursion to the Dry Tortugas and tour the historic Fort Jefferson. - - Take a Key West trolley tour and spot the six-toed cats at Ernest Hemingway’s former home. Stop at the Lighthouse Museum and Truman Little White House.
- Get a taste of Old Florida in the luxurious Ocean Key Resort next to Mallory Square in Key West’s Old Town. Escape the crowds with a volcanic ‘Earth Clay Ritual’ or Key Lime Margarita Pedicure in the Spa Terre.
Adventure and Wildlife
- Go diving in the world’s second largest artificial reef at the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
- Take an eco-tour and kayak around the red mangrove islands of Key West’s ‘backcountry’.
Food and Drink
- Try some local beer in the tasting room of The Waterfront Brewery.
- Dine on Bahamian cuisine at the Bahama Village or try some conch fritters, a local staple.
- Dine on steaks, burgers and 72-hour beef short rib at Spencer’s by the Sea, South Beach.
Events and Festivals
- Daily: Enjoy sundowners and sunset celebrations in Mallory Square.
- July: Key West’s legendary author is remembered with readings, fishing tournaments and celebrations for Hemingway Days.