Where to stay in Kenya
Holidays in Masai Mara
Take a trip on the wild side with an amazing Masai Mara holiday. With lions, cheetah, leopards, rhinos, giraffes and elephants sharing the plains with wildebeest and zebras, Masai Mara safaris are nothing short of stunning.
Holidays in Mombasa
Culture, history, luxury… and beaches. While the true heart of Mombasa is found in the exotic Old Town, among the narrow winding streets where the air is heavy with the scent of spices, you’ll be awestruck with Mombasa’s ridiculously picturesque coastline
Holidays in Nairobi
It has restaurants galore, exciting nightlife and some of the best shopping in Africa! Constantly on the go, you’ll soon fall into its fast, frenetic pace, following in the footsteps of celebrities, VIPs, and royalty who have all enjoyed the myriad attractions of Kenya’s capital city.
Hotels and camps in Kenya
Tours and Safaris
Wherever you go and whatever you choose to see, there’s truly nothing quite like Kenya tours. Whether it’s the beaten track you’re after, or something more off-road – we’ll bring you as close as possible to the world’s greatest sights with our Kenya safari holidays.
Essential information for Kenya
- Your flight is approximately 8 hours and 30 minutes to Nairobi and a further 1-hour into Kilimanjaro and Arusha.
Do I need a VISA?
Kenya plastic bag ban
It is now an illegal offence to be in possession of any form of plastic bag upon entering the country. This includes plastic bags in main luggage as well as hand luggage. Any traveller entering Kenya with duty free bags will be required to dispose of them at the entry points or in the aircrafts prior to disembarking their flights.
From the Bush to the Beach: Highlights of Kenya Holidays
Big cats hunting on the hazy savannah. Elephants almost close enough to touch. A cold beer at sunset, overlooking the endless plains. The smell of dust. The lion’s roar. The unfathomable multitude of stars. Nothing matches the raw drama of Kenya safari holidays. You can meet Maasai warriors, spot the Big Five (and more) and eat exquisite meals served under enormous African skies. This is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.
But Kenya holidays aren’t all about safaris. The country’s Indian Ocean coast is pure paradise with brilliant-white beaches, crystal-clear waters, teeming coral reefs and hotels right by the waterfront where you can relax, get active or delve into Swahili culture.
- Meet feline superstars at Governors Main Camp, the HQ of TV show Big Cat Diaries. Deep in the heart of the Masai Mara, this classic colonial-style lodge is a top spot to see the Big Five – lion, leopard, rhino, elephant and buffalo.
- Take a safari in the city. Nairobi National Park is just on the outskirts of the Kenyan capital, so offers the surreal sight of zebra and rhinos against a backdrop of skyscrapers. Start your Kenya holiday at the Ole Sereni Hotel, which borders this urban jungle – you might even glimpse wildlife from the rooftop pool.
- Head to Amboseli National Park for what might be the best photo-op in all of Africa: see a herd of enormous elephants troop amid the acacias with majestic Mount Kilimanjaro rearing behind.
- Venture up the dramatic Rift Valley, just two hours from Nairobi, to reach shimmering Lake Nakuru. Here, huge flocks of flamingo turn the waters pink, rhino graze by the shore and lion and leopard prowl the forests and grasslands.
- Enjoy spine-tingling encounters within a private conservancy. In these exclusive wilderness areas, which are located outside national parks, activities such as game-viewing on foot are allowed, adding extra thrills to your Kenya safari holiday. Try Mahali Mzuri Lodge, a cluster of just 12 luxury tents in the Olare Motorogi Conservancy.
With its scenic beauty and abundant wildlife, Kenya is a country like no other. From the bush to the beach, our Kenya holiday packages are designed to uncover the best of what the country has to offer. To make your trip extra special, why not enjoy one of our favourite Kenyan experiences.
- Enjoy the ‘nightlife’, safari style: sip a sundowner while gazing over the plains and tuck into a bush barbecue under a blanket of stars. Or head out on an exhilarating after-dark safari to see nocturnal animals start to stir – nighttime game drives are possible at Mahali Mzuri.
- Float above the wilderness in a hot-air balloon. Watch dawn break as you rise silently above the savannah, looking out for animals below, before landing for a Champagne breakfast. Simply, the most magical way to start the day.
- Sail away on a traditional dhow – these graceful Swahili sailing boats have plied the East African coast for centuries; now they’re the most atmospheric way to travel. Stay at the idyllic Baobab Beach Resort & Spa to arrange a sunset cruise on one of these handsome vessels.
- Witness the Great Migration – this movement of two million wildebeest across the Masai Mara and Serengeti is one of the world’s greatest wildlife spectacles. The action is most dramatic between July and October, when the huge herds make treacherous crossings of the Mara River. Stay at Governors Main Camp, right on the river, for a front-row seat.
- Have your marriage blessed by a Maasai – honeymooners can take part in a special ceremony, followed by a champagne picnic or private candlelit dinner out in the bush.
- Be dazzled by Diani Beach, the tropical paradise of your dreams. Here, sugar-white sand is lapped by warm turquoise waters, palm trees nod in the breeze and the coral reefs are swarming with fish. There’s plenty of prime beachfront accommodation too – from the Swahili-style resort of Papillon Lagoon Reef to the award-winning Leopard Beach Resort & Spa.
- Try a wealth of watersports on holidays to Kenya – you could jump in a kayak or make the most of the excellent Indian Ocean conditions to have a go at windsurfing. Many Mombasa hotels, such as the stylish Pinewood Village Beach Resort, have excellent activity centres.
- Take a peek under the water. The coral reefs off the Kenyan coast are brimming with life – from technicolour reef fish to turtles and whales. Grab a snorkel, learn to scuba dive or board a glass-bottomed boat.
- Hop along the whole Mombasa coast, home to some of the world’s best beaches. Try beautiful Bamburi Beach, where you can relax at the luxurious Sarova Whitesands Resort & Spa. Or head to Nyali Beach, close to Mombasa’s atmospheric Old Town, where the Voyager Beach Resort is a great family option for Kenya beach holidays.
- Explore the shore – the lush gardens, indigenous forests and towering baobab trees fringing the Indian Ocean are alive with monkeys and a multitude of birds.
- Meet the Maasai. Visit a traditional village to learn more about the tribe’s way of life – go early in the morning to help milk the cattle or in the evening to see the goats and sheep being herded home for the night. There’s a village just 10 minutes’ drive from Mahali Mzuri.
- Delve into the colourful chaos of Nairobi, one of Africa’s fastest-growing cities, for a thrilling start to your Kenya holiday. ‘Lively’ doesn’t do justice to the capital, with its fantastic restaurants and buzzing nightlife. Stay at the Jacaranda Hotel, which is within easy reach of the hubbub but also has leafy gardens and a cool pool if you want to escape.
- Visit the former home of Karen Blixen. Nestled at the foot of the Ngong Hills, just outside Nairobi, this colonial farmhouse, once lived in by the author of Out of Africa, is now a fascinating museum.
- Get lost in the winding alleys of Mombasa’s Old Town and explore the crumbling ramparts of 16th century Fort Jesus. Stay at the nearby Serena Beach Hotel & Spa, which is laid out just like a labyrinthine Swahili town.
- Shop for local treasures at Mombasa’s markets and boutiques. Look out for bright kikoys (sarongs), sisal baskets, beaded bracelets and wood and soapstone carvings. And be prepared for some haggling – great fun!
Ready to discover Africa’s premier safari destination? Whether you’re looking to get up close with wildlife or relax on tropical beaches, our Kenya holiday packages have it all. To book your perfect trip, browse our selection of Kenya hotels today.