Hotels in Playacar
Essential information for Playacar
- Fly direct on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday.
- Indirect Virgin Atlantic flights are available from London Heathrow.
Do I need a visa?
No, UK passport holders don't need a visa for Mexico. You'll just need to complete a tourist card on your flight to Cancun.
However, if you are travelling via the USA, then you will need to apply for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) no less than 72 hours prior to travelling.
You can easily wander around Playacar by foot. Take a leisurely wander along the beach to nearby Playa Del Carmen or a 5-minute cab ride. Once you reach Playa Del Carmen you can hop on one of the many inexpensive buses which will ferry you to Cancun and beyond.
Playacar Holidays: Discover Paradise in Mexico
Playacar, Mexico is a slice of paradise – with added class. This exclusive resort area is just south of the chic boutiques and lively bars of Playa del Carmen. Here, you can enjoy the culture and thrills of the Riviera Maya from a stylish private enclave – there will always be an empty sun-lounger, ice-cold drink and dazzling sea view waiting for you. Indeed, on holidays to Playacar’s all-inclusive hotels, you can dine like royalty, try every watersport under the Caribbean sun, splash about with the kids, opt for an adults-only retreat, visit a spa, tee off, dive in, work out or wind down. The choice is yours.
- Scrunch your toes into the powder-soft sands of the Playacar coast, a super stretch of turquoise-lapped shore that seems to extend forever. The all-inclusive Allegro Playacar has an especially lovely location, its thatched guesthouses spilling right onto the brilliant-white beach.
- Find splendid seclusion on Inah Beach, just to the south. This peaceful spot is perfect for swimming and snorkelling – look for squid, turtles and a whole rainbow of corals.
- Sip margaritas overlooking the sea at Wah Wah Beach Bar – a Playacar holiday must-do. This joint on the Playa del Carmen waterfront has a relaxed vibe, a tasty menu, ice-cold drinks, shady umbrellas, live music and service with a smile.
- Make the most of the watersports on any holiday to Playacar’s all-inclusive hotels. The calm, balmy Caribbean Sea is perfect for trying new things, and resorts such as the family-friendly Sandos Playacar offer free use of kayaks, boogie boards, snorkelling gear and hobie catamarans; you can even join a free scuba dive demo in the pool, ideal if you’re thinking about giving it a go.
- Jump into a jungle-hugged cenote. The limestone Yucatan peninsula is like a geological Swiss cheese, riddled with caves and water-filled sinkholes. All Playacar holidays should include a dip in at least one of these sublime natural swimming pools.
- Try everything at Xcaret! At this part eco-park, part museum and part theme park you can learn about Mayan life, float along natural channels, stroll through the jungle, speed down water slides and much more. For easy access, stay at the family-friendly Allegro Playacar, just 20 minutes away.
- Dive into the crystal-clear Caribbean around Cozumel. This laid-back island, just off Playacar, has spectacular coral formations, warm waters, excellent underwater visibility and masses of marine species, from turtles to eagle rays. Learn to scuba on your holiday to Playacar at a resort such as Sandos.
- Delve into the wildlife-filled Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve, one of the largest protected areas in Mexico. Don’t miss the magical ruins of Muyil, one of over 20 Mayan sites hidden in the reserve.
- Get a bird’s eye view of the jungle on your Playacar holiday by riding a zip-wire amid the tree-tops. Head for the Xplor Adventure Park, where not only can you zip-wire, you can drive amphibious vehicles through underground tunnels, swim down subterranean rivers and raft amid stalactites. And it’s only a short drive from all of Playacar’s hotels.
- Enjoy the most exclusive dining experience on the Yucatan peninsula. At the elegant Royal Hideaway Playacar you can book a Chef’s Table at Las Ventanas restaurant – the resort’s creative kitchen crew will talk you through the exquisite six- or 12-course tasting menu as they serve.
- Tee off on the championship Playacar Spa & Golf course. Designed by legendary course architect Robert von Hagge, its 18 holes are fringed by wildlife-filled jungle and merge into the magnificent surroundings.
- Ease away your stresses at a world-class spa on holidays to Playacar, Mexico all-inclusive hotels. Visit the state-of-the-art Awe Spa at the Playacar Palace for soothing body wraps and luxurious facials. Or indulge in a bespoke treatment at the Royal Hideaway Playacar – perhaps a couple’s massage by the sea.
- Get your married life off to a luxurious start with a honeymoon at the adults-only all-inclusive Royal Hideaway Playacar. The Honeymoon Suites have large terraces with hammocks, not to mention a bottle of fizz on arrival.
- Feel like a pop star: order a cocktail from your lilo! The Sandos Playacar has a cool adults-only pool where you can breaststroke right up to the counter for a rum punch. Or paddle up to the Wet Bar at Playacar Palace – at this high-class all-inclusive, even top-shelf drinks are free of charge.
- Shop until you drop along Playa del Carmen’s Fifth Avenue. Browse designer boutiques and Mexican crafts, stop off for a tequila and soak up the festive vibe. The street is especially lively in February and March, when carnival comes to town..
- Cycle around Coba – this vast Mayan complex is ripe for two-wheeled exploration. Take a day-trip from the Playacar Palace or – if you don’t fancy going far – join one of the hotel’s free bike tours of Playacar’s own gorgeous gardens and safe lanes.
- Taste the authentic flavours of Playacar, Mexico – from cheesy quesadillas to fiery aguachile, the local chilli-hot spin on ceviche. Spices restaurant at the Royal Hideaway Playacar serves up fine Mexican and Caribbean food with spectacular sea views. Or tuck into street food-style snacks at Sandos Playacar’s poolside Itzapalapa cafe.
- Sway to the sounds of the Riviera Maya Jazz Festival – three nights of free world-class jazz held in Playa del Carmen every December. Or go to the Royal Hideaway Playacar’s Royal Club Theatre, where there are shows most nights of the year.
- Plunge into the wild hinterland to add some Mayan culture to your Playacar holidays. Many magnificent sites are reachable on day-trips – for instance, the Playacar Palace runs expert-guided tours to Chichen Itza, including a tasty local lunch.