Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa

Lexington, Kentucky

The hotel

With its roots firmly in Bluegrass Country, this golf and spa resort’s wrapped in a landscape dominated by equine delights and Kentucky Bourbon Trail sights. Before you reach them, you’ll pass the hotel’s 18 hole golf course; designed by Rees Jones, son of legendary golf architect Robert Trent Jones, it comes with the near-mandatory 19th Hole, where breakfasts and light American lunches are served. Dining elsewhere at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort means prime steaks and seafood at JW’s, coffee and pastries at Starbucks®, and poolside refreshments at Top Deck. The pool bar accompanies the swanky outdoor pool and patio, but you also get an incredible indoor pool to swim in, with stunning views through its dramatic glass wall; and they’ve even thrown in a full-service spa for good measure.

Amenities

  • Bar
  • Spa
  • Swimming Pool
  • Valet parking
  • Fitness Centre/Gym
  • Laundry Service
  • Internet Access
  • Golf
  • Tennis
  • Restaurant

Where is it

In the Griffin Gate area of Lexington, not far from the Downtown district, the hotel is around 6km from Explorium of Lexington, with its interactive children’s fun, 8km from Kentucky Horse Park, and 15 minutes’ from Keeneland Race Track. It’s also close to the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.

Hotel information

409 rooms and suites on 7 floors. All with air-conditioning, LCD TV with cable channels and premium pay-per-view movies, WiFi access*, alarm clock, telephone, coffee maker/tea service, hairdryer, and iron and board. Cribs, play yard, and rollaway beds available*. Guest Rooms with 1 king-size or 2 queen-size beds, sleeping maximum 4 adults.

JW’s Steakhouse (steak and seafood menu; breakfast, lunch and dinner). 19th Hole (American light bites menu and bar; breakfast and lunch). JW’s Lounge (American appetizers, cocktails, and Kentucky bourbon; lunch and dinner). Starbucks® (with free WiFi). Top Deck (poolside snacks, sandwiches, and drinks, seasonal; lunch). Room service* (6.30am-12.00am). Local restaurant dinner delivery*. Outdoor pool (seasonal). Indoor pool. Whirlpool. Patio with fire pit. The Spa at Griffin Gate* (full-service spa with beauty salon and barber, steam room, and children’s and couples’ treatment options, reservations required). Fitness centre. Griffin Gate Golf Club* (18 hole golf course designed by Rees Jones). Sports court. Tennis*. Concierge. Babysitting service*. Valet/dry-cleaning services*. Laundry facilities*. Gift shop. Vending machines. ATM. Safety deposit box (at front desk). Complimentary WiFi. Valet parking* and self parking* (payable locally; subject to change).

This hotel has a resort fee of $15 plus tax per room (per day (payable locally, subject to change)

Resort fee includes: - Bicycle storage - Internet access

*Denotes local charge

Rating summary

  • Location Image of the Tripadvisor rating
  • Sleep Quality Image of the Tripadvisor rating
  • Rooms Image of the Tripadvisor rating
  • Service Image of the Tripadvisor rating
  • Value Image of the Tripadvisor rating
  • Cleanliness Image of the Tripadvisor rating

Traveller rating

  • Excellent (403)
  • Very good (280)
  • Average (159)
  • Poor (67)
  • Terrible (41)
Image of the Tripadvisor rating Great experience as always!

Sep 12, 2021 Mustafa A Marathon, Florida

Cannot say enough about my experience at this outstanding property.. josh, storm and the other 3 ladies at the desk - cannot recall their names - went above and beyond to accommodate me. The bar staff was outstanding as well. My room phone didn’t work, however when I called the desk they immediately sent someone to address the issue and provided a… Read more
Cannot say enough about my experience at this outstanding property.. josh, storm and the other 3 ladies at the desk - cannot recall their names - went above and beyond to accommodate me. The bar staff was outstanding as well. My room phone didn’t work, however when I called the desk they immediately sent someone to address the issue and provided a solution. Way to go. During my stay there was an event for the Kentucky veteran hall of fame.. I was invited by the event staff to join the event once they learned about my service in Iraq! I was honored! And it was a great experience for my daughter and myself. Very successful event! I am staying in the resort every month when I visit Lexington. Highly recommended. The renovation is coming along and soon this property will be the place to go in the blue grass area. The spa is a top notch service… Sarah is the best! The only thing I would recommend is carrying Basel Haden in your bourbon selection! It’s my favorite :) Huge thanks to all of your staff during this challenging time.. you guys made my stay memorable. Read less
Image of the Tripadvisor rating Not quite ready for prime time

Aug 30, 2021 lsc_Denver Denver, Colorado

We just spent 4 nights here as part of a wedding party. Hotel staff were great! But, they're short-staffed like a lot of places right now, so rooms only got serviced every 3 days, and things like replacing toiletries and cups got missed. The pool was lovely and will be nicer when they get the handrail at the steps anchored in place and are able… Read more
We just spent 4 nights here as part of a wedding party. Hotel staff were great! But, they're short-staffed like a lot of places right now, so rooms only got serviced every 3 days, and things like replacing toiletries and cups got missed. The pool was lovely and will be nicer when they get the handrail at the steps anchored in place and are able to open additional seating; their complete remodel is running behind schedule, again like lots of places right now. The tile around the pool doesn't absorb heat and is textured; it's perfect! Restaurant menu is very limited right now and there's really only lounge seating. Workout equipment is brand new, and hopefully they'll get that last wall installed soon. In the rooms, some small things still need repair or adjustment, but they kindly moved us to another room when our shower didn't work. AC was quiet and worked well. It was great to have the small fridge. There aren't bedside lights on both sides of the beds in a 2-queen room, but there's a lovely small, light, movable table and a desk lamp equally movable, so we worked that out. All in all, our stay was comfortable. I expect it will be even nicer than that in a few months. Read less
Image of the Tripadvisor rating Older Marriott…Too Much Construction

Aug 22, 2021 mikec1111 Canton, Michigan

Too much construction going on at one time. Lots of areas closed at one time…such as the lobby bathrooms. Lobby bar open until 10pm on a Saturday night, and loud construction heard in the room at 7:30am (drilling and hammering). Room A/C struggled. Very humid in the rooms. Did appreciate the complimentary water located next to check-in desk.
Image of the Tripadvisor rating Still Renovating

Aug 19, 2021 Martha H Columbus, Ohio

II suggest calling the hotel directly to get current status. We did, and were told it was 80% done. However, the remaining 20% is largely in the public areas, and dining is definitely affected. The little Bistro is open. It serves only salads and sandwiches. The concierge lounge is closed. If you book the concierge floor, you get breakfast from… Read more
II suggest calling the hotel directly to get current status. We did, and were told it was 80% done. However, the remaining 20% is largely in the public areas, and dining is definitely affected. The little Bistro is open. It serves only salads and sandwiches. The concierge lounge is closed. If you book the concierge floor, you get breakfast from the Bistro served at Starbuck’s. Read less
Image of the Tripadvisor rating It's going to be Great, just not yet, the Staff are wonderful

Aug 11, 2021 Jean Anne R Wheeling, West Virginia, United States

Here's the thing, they are in the middle of a major renovation and I think they should have closed until it's completed. We are a Marriott family with Elite level so we've stayed at a lot of Marriotts. You can see that the changes they are making, the designs, the furniture, lighting, etc in the lobby area are going to be high end and really… Read more
Here's the thing, they are in the middle of a major renovation and I think they should have closed until it's completed. We are a Marriott family with Elite level so we've stayed at a lot of Marriotts. You can see that the changes they are making, the designs, the furniture, lighting, etc in the lobby area are going to be high end and really update the Resort. The rooms, at least ours, had already been updated and was very nice. Very trendy. But there is a lot of construction going on. There are several amenities not available, most pressing is the lack of Breakfast. The Starbucks was slammed trying to take care of everyone. I think the entire facility seemed to be understaffed. But all the staff we dealt with were very gracious and I watched as they all hustled. A huge particular shout out to Josh M. the front desk manager while we were there. He had to go to the kitchen to grab us a few bottles of water, while he was answering questions to other guests. We both at separate times saw and heard him deal with a particularly difficult guest, always being kind and helpful while she was quite demanding. Marriott, give Josh whatever kudos you have to dish out. He was hustling constantly while we were there. Read less